Distinctive Unit Insignia
A Gold color metal and enamel insignia 29/32 inch (2.30 cm) in width overall consisting of the crest for the Mississippi Army National Guard blazoned: On a wreath Argent and Gules a slip of magnolia in full flower with leaves Proper behind a trident Sable.
The magnolia blossom is the State flower of Mississippi and Neptune's trident is symbolic of the great river, Neptune being known in mythology as the "Father of Waters." As the predominant population within the State was of English origin, the twists of the wreath are white and red.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for State Staff Corps and State Detachment, Mississippi National Guard on 20 January 1933. It was redesignated for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and no color bearing units of the Mississippi Army National Guard on 18 February 1969. The insignia was redesignated effective 1 October 1982, for Headquarters, State Area Command, Mississippi Army National Guard. It was redesignated effective 1 October 2003, for the Mississippi Army National Guard Element, Joint Force Headquarters and amended to update the description.