Seal of the Mississippi National Guard
The Seal was approved November 11, 2008, by Major General
William L. Freeman, Jr., the Adjutant General of Mississippi.
Centered on a
blue disk edged with gold borders, a Minuteman standing in front of the State
Colors and a plow. Enclosed by a gold border with a dark blue
background, with “Army 1798” on the left and “Air 1939” opposite, bearing the
words Mississippi at the top and National Guard at the bottom.
Minuteman, a traditional symbol of the Militia, is based on a statue completed
by Daniel Chester French in 1874. On display in Concord, Massachusetts, the
statue depicts a Minuteman leaving his farm, signified by the plow,
holding his musket ready to defend his community. The inner
field of blue is the ceremonial color of the Army. The outer field of blue
represents the Air Force. Yellow/Gold represent excellence. The flag behind the
Minuteman is the State Flag of Mississippi. The dates represent the earliest
roots of the MSNG, with the muster of the Adams County Militia on September 8,
1798, and the activation of the 153rd Observation Squadron on
September 27, 1939, at Key Field, in Meridian.