Camp McCain Receives New Commander
LTC Christian Patterson, APR+M (Director of Public Affairs)
|Col. Richard L. Weaver the incoming commander of the Camp McCain Training Center, hugs both daughters Kaley and Kameron Weaver after his promotion to Colonel, Oct. 14, 2018 at the Camp McCain Training Center.
CAMP McCAIN, Miss. – The Mississippi Army National Guard Training Center, Camp McCain conducted a promotion and change of command ceremonies, October 14 at the facility south of Grenada.
Lieutenant Colonel Richard L. Weaver was promoted to the rank of Colonel before family, friends and Soldiers just prior to assuming command of the post. Colonel Weaver comes to Camp McCain after serving as the director of Plans, Training, Mobilization and Security at the Camp Shelby Joint Forces Training Center south of Hattiesburg.
“It’s an extreme honor to be selected to lead the Camp McCain Training Center,” said Weaver of Saucier, Mississippi. “Our team will prepare for upcoming missions and continue to maintain the teamwork and dedication that has been present here since 1942.”
Colonel Weaver replaces Col. Michael N. Cleveland who served as Camp McCain’s commander since February 2015. Cleveland will transition to the Mississippi National Guard Joint Force Headquarters in Jackson and serve as the force’s lead engineer.
Camp McCain is a National Guard training site that covers approximately 13,000 acres. The facility offers tank maneuver, artillery, and general training for reserve component service members. Camp McCain was one of several training sites in Mississippi during World War II. In 1942, the United States Army opened the facility on a 42,000-acre site in Grenada County. Soldiers from the army’s 87th and 94th divisions trained at Camp McCain before being sent into combat in Europe. At the peak of its expansion, the post served as many as 50,000 troops. Camp McCain was converted into a Mississippi National Guard facility in 1946. It is named in honor of Carroll county native, Maj. Gen. Henry P. McCain.
(U.S. Army National Guard photo by Sgt. Don Kazery)